Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese

My daughter loves mac and cheese. A lot. Probably more than anyone should.

Given this, I can't bring myself to make boxed, prepackaged varieties for her, regardless how easy they are and how tired I am after work. Today, in a pinch, I decided to make a variety on my own, with only the ingredients I had in my refrigerator.

Ingredients:
2.5 cups whole grain noodles, uncooked
 2 cups cauliflower, chopped small
1 block extra sharp white cheddar cheese, cut into small pieces 2 Tablespoons flax seeds
 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
 1 teaspoon ground mustard
 Salt and pepper, to taste

2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt

Directions
Put everything in a crock pot and cook on low for two hours, stirring occasionally. Once complete, season to taste. I particularly like adding dill.

The only ingredient I want to eliminate is the heavy whipping cream, but it was all I had in lieu of regular milk. I will post an update next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment